UTEP Department of Music Vocal Area offers Opera Workshop (or "Opera UTEP") for undergraduate or graduate ensemble credit. Two semesters are required for performance and education majors though many choose to take the course multiple times.
Opera Workshop teaches students the fundamentals of operatic performance. Skills such as body awareness, movement, dance, role preparation, character development, acting, stage combat and audition techniques are among the topics to be explored and practiced in the class.
Repertoire for public performances will be selected to meet the voice types and skill levels of the enrolled students and may include scenes from opera and/or musical theater, one-act operas, and/or major works from the operatic repertoire.
The ensemble meets 6 hours a week in the fall and spring semesters. There are no prerequisites for the course but prior performance experience is helpful. Placement auditions will be scheduled as needed.
The ensemble is directed by Visiting Assistant Professor Cherry Duke with pianist Dr. Esequiel Meza.
Opera UTEP has residencies, master classes and talks with guest artists several times a semester. Recent guests have included:
- Maestro Steven M. Crawford, vocal coach and conductor
- Jay Stratton, acting coach
- Randi Rudolph, vocal coach
- Justin Lucero, acting coach
- Kevin Deas, baritone
- Jessica Medoff Bunchman, mezzo-soprano
- Ricardo Rivera, baritone
Full listing of current events may be found on our Facebook Page.
- CHEERS! A toast to Opera & Musical Theater (Fall 2016)
- SPEED DATING TONIGHT! (Spring 2016)
- PASION! Opera scenes with Spanish passion (Fall 2015)
- THE MAGIC FLUTE (Spring 2015)
- SWEENEY TODD (Fall 2014)