German Abitur Program (ABITUR)
The German Ministries of Education have approved a 60-hour academic curriculum which is considered to be equivalent to completion of the Abitur diploma. Students who complete this curriculum may be considered for admission to German universities when they return home.
The German Abitur Program (GAP) major is only available to German military dependents whose families are stationed at Ft. Bliss, but any German student may follow the curriculum and request advising during regular advising periods. Please contact the Academic Advising Center at (915) 747-5290 to set an appointment with Ms. Kaay Miller.
German military dependent students:
1. Apply for admission to UTEP
- Submit proof of completion of a United States high school diploma or its equivalent (must be translated, if not in English)
- Submit satisfactory TOEFL**, SAT, or ACT scores as determined by the Admissions Office
- Provide a statement of financial support
- Submit NATO residency waiver (Certification of Status) signed by sponsor’s commanding officer
2. Complete Placement Testing as required by the Admissions Office
- DO NOT take the Compass ESL test for second-language English placement – the German Abitur program curriculum does not accept ESOL courses
- Check major in Admissions if Compass ESL test is required
3. Before Tuition Payment is Due Each Semester, submit proof of military dependent status (Certification of Status) signed by sponsor’s commanding officer to Human Resources to avoid paying international student insurance fee
4. Before Each Academic Year Begins, submit NATO residency waiver (see Certification of Status sample) signed by sponsor’s commanding officer to Admissions Office
See Academic Advising Center with placement test scores for advising. All students will need to take Math placement, and placement is required for certain foreign language options.
**Applicants who do not achieve satisfactory SAT or ACT scores may take the TOEFL exam. Applicants who do not achieve satisfactory TOEFL scores may attend the English Language Institute for TOEFL preparation, retake the TOEFL exam, and submit new scores to UTEP Admissions
German Non-Military Students:
- Apply for admission to UTEP as an international student
- Complete placement testing as required by the Admissions Office, including Compass ESL test
- See Academic Advising Center with placement test scores for advising
- See advisor in Academic Advising Center for academic advising before each registration period
Services offered by the Academic Advising Center include:
- Assistance with navigating admission requirements
- Placement assessment
- Course assignment and registration each semester
- Curriculum tracking for completion of program requirements
- Answers to general questions on UTEP policies and courses
- Advice and advocacy as needed
Advising for courses generally begins in early March for Summer/Fall terms, and in early October for Spring terms. Students are advised by appointment.
The Academic Advising Center is located in the Academic Advising Center Building, which is next to Liberal Arts and across from Physical Sciences. Standard hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 6:00 pm; advisor availability is limited over lunch and after 5:00 pm. Please call to check advisor availability during holidays and between semesters.