We offer two graduate degrees:
(1) Ph.D. in Psychology
(2) M.A. in Clinical Psychology or Experimental Psychology
Because all of our graduate programs focus on research and require extensive one-on-one contact between faculty and students, we can accept only a limited number of students each year. Admission is competitive, and admission recommendations are made by a committee that carefully reviews each applicant's academic history, performance, and interests. To be admitted, one must have bachelor's degree (or the equivalent for non-U.S. students) from an accredited university. Students who are still working on their bachelor's degree and who will complete it before starting graduate work are given full consideration. Individuals who do not have a degree in psychology are also given full consideration, but admission may be conditional on satisfactorily completing a few undergraduate psychology courses.
We accept students once a year. New students are admitted only during the fall semester and applications for fall admission are due December 15th. If you are interested in applying, please send the materials indicated below to the graduate school.
• A UTEP graduate school online application
• Official transcript(s) for all academic work
• Official GRE General Test scores from ETS. GRE scores taken within the last five years are required of all applicants (regardless of whether or not they have a graduate degree in another discipline) and must be on file by December 15 for your application to be considered.
• A two- to three-page personal statement outlining your experiences, skills, and training. In addition, please state your career goals and how this specific program will benefit your professional development.
• Three letters of recommendation
• Official TOEFL scores for international students
• Application processing fee: Check/money order in U.S. dollars, $45.00 for U.S. citizens/permanent residents or $80.00 for international applicants
• Send to: UTEP Graduate School
Academic Services Building, Room 223
500 W. University Ave.
El Paso, Texas 79968-0566
If you have general questions about applying to UTEP, you can contact the graduate school. If you have specific questions on any of the Psychology programs, you can ask the graduate program director. In all correspondence, please indicate the program in which you are interested or for which you are applying (Ph.D. or M.A. Clinical).