Because all of our graduate programs focus on research and require extensive one-on-one contact between faculty and students, we can accept only a limited number of students each year. Admission is competitive, and admission recommendations are made by a committee that carefully reviews each applicant’s academic history, performance, and interests. To be admitted, one must have bachelor's degree (or the equivalent for non-U.S. students) from an accredited university. Students who are still working on their bachelor’s degree and who will complete it before starting graduate work are given full consideration. Individuals who do not have a degree in psychology are also given full consideration, but admission may be conditional on satisfactorily completing a few undergraduate psychology courses.
If you are interested in applying, please send the materials indicated below to the graduate school:
• A UTEP graduate school application can be found at the graduate school’s page: https://apply.embark.com/grad/UTEP)
• Official transcript(s) for all academic work
• Official GRE General Test scores from ETS (GRE scores taken within the last five years are required of all applicants, regardless of whether or not they have a graduate degree in another discipline)
• A two- to three-page personal statement outlining your experiences, skills, and training. In addition, please indicate that you are applying for the Legal Psychology Ph.D. concentration, indicate faculty with whom you would like to work, and include your career goals and how this specific program will benefit your professional development.
• Three letters of recommendation are required.
• Official TOEFL scores are required for international students.
• Application processing fee: Check/money order in U.S. dollars, $45.00 for U.S. citizens/permanent residents, $45.00 for Mexican residents, and $80.00 for international applicants.
• Send to: UTEP Graduate School, Academic Services Bldg., Room 223, 500 West University Ave., El Paso, TX, 79968-0566. If you have general questions about applying to UTEP, you can contact the graduate school (firstname.lastname@example.org or 915-747-5491). If you have specific questions with to application of the Legal Psychology Ph.D. Program you may contact Dr. Theodore Cooper, Graduate Program Director for the Department of Psychology (email@example.com).