Early College High School (ECHS) Academic Success Center

Frequently Asked Questions

As an early college high school student you are amongst a unique group of scholars. Therefore, the processes for admissions, financial aid, amongst other things, may differ from incoming students who did not attend an ECHS campus. Below you will find some of the most frequently asked questions regarding these procedures, and so much more.

Remember to visit the Incoming/Current Students tab in the header above (found under "Students") to learn what tasks you must complete prior to attending UTEP, and what resources you have as a current student. 

Still have questions?

Send us a message using the form at the end of this page or contact the Early College High School Academic Success Center at:

Mike Loya Academic Services Building, Room 107

earlycollegesuccess@utep.edu facebook.com/utepechs

UTEP's Emergency Action Guide

Click the link above to find out what to do in the event of an emergency on campus!

Click On the Tabs For More Information! Minimize    

Admissions FAQ

Submit proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination or the Texas Department of State Health Services affidavit prior to attending your scheduled orientation, submission options are listed below:

Option 1 - Email: meningitis@utep.edu Option 2 - Fax: (915) 747-8893 Option 3 - In Person: Enrollment Services Center.

You can contact them at (915) 747-6094.

Ask your high school registrar to electronically submit your transcript directly to UTEP.
To submit your EPCC transcript, go to the Registrar's Office at EPCC and request that they submit your transcript electronically to UTEP. Remember, we need an updated transcript after each semester you finish at EPCC.

Office of Admissions

Mike Loya Academic Services Building Rm. 107 (915) 747-7387

Admissions Website

Career FAQ

Jobmine is a web system opened exclusively to UTEP students and alumni that allows users to find job opportunities both on and off campus. To visit jobmine please click on the link below.

Job Mine

If you need help writing your resume, refining your interviewing skills, or even borrowing an outfit for an upcoming interview, the Career Center at UTEP can help you with these tasks and much more! For more information you can visit their site at:

Career Center

An internship is an opportunity for you to gain professional experience, by participating in a program that will give you hands on training. Typically, you do not get paid in an internship, but this may depend on the organization your interning for. UTEP's career center website includes some information on an internship program here on campus. To access this page, click below.

For more information contact the Career Center

Career Center

Union West  (915) 747-0626


Financial Aid FAQ

Accelerated: If you are an accelerated ECHS student, and have not yet graduated from high school, you are not eligible to apply for financial aid.

Traditional: To apply for financial aid please complete the Free Application for Federal Student (FAFSA). To begin your application or for more information please visit: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

There are three main types of financial aid:

  • Grants: Money given to you that you do not have to repay. This type of aid is funded through federal or state governments, and institutional monies.
  • Loans: Money that you borrow, and must repay with interest. There are two common types of loans, subsidized and unsubsidized. In a subsidized loan, the government pays the loan interest while your in school, or going through other periods of authorized deferments. With an unsubsidized loan, you are responsible for paying interest.
    Work study: Employment opportunities for students based on need.
Federal Work-Study is a program that partially funds jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. Awards are based on need as determined by the FAFSA to help pay for college expenses. For more information please visit:

The longer you wait to submit your FAFSA, the less financial aid that will be available to you.

Students do not receive their financial aid money and then use it to pay their tuition. Financial aid money is received by the university ten days prior to the start of each semester. Once received, it is first applied as a payment to tuition and fees, and then applied to any outstanding balance. If your financial aid money covers all tuition and fees, and there is additional money left over, the Business Services Office will send out that money to students during the first week of classes.
Students are to use the money from financial aid to cover expenses such as tuition, books, transportation, and room and board. It is recommended that students save any extra money for unexpected expenses that may come up later in the school year.

For more information contact:

Office of Financial Aid

Mike Loya Academic Services Building Rm. 204 (915) 747-5204


Involvement FAQ

Becoming involved is not just about building your resume, its about enriching your college experience in ways that will promote your personal and professional growth! Becoming involved will:

  • Give you a sense of community: With over 20,000 students on campus, it is easy to get lost in the crowd. Joining a club or organization will help you network with people that share similar goals and interests.
  • Help you discover your strengths, and what you are passionate about: Now is the time to try everything! You might not find the perfect club for you right away, but when you keep an open mind and try different things, you may find yourself doing something you truly enjoy and are passionate about! In turn, you can discover what you are good at and work to promote those strengths.
ECHSplorers is an ECHS International Educational study abroad program designed specifically for ECHS alums. This program enables you to gain a global experience during a 10-14 day trip abroad. For more information on upcoming trips please visit:
For a list of clubs and organizations at UTEP please click the link below. Furthermore, organizations are listed in the college they are most related to. Also, visit our "Student Involvement" page under the "Students" tab for information on some highlighted programs, and other involvement opportunities.

Scholarships FAQ

Accelerated students (students taking classes at UTEP while in high school), must submit their Scholarship Contract and Course Approval form as soon as possible. For your convenience, we have attached these forms below.
The Office of Scholarships website is a great place for you to begin your research and apply for scholarships. Here you will find for more information on local and national scholarship opportunities, as well as a list of search engines you can use to find scholarships. Please click on the links below to access these resources or visit the Office of Scholarships website to explore more options.
The following link has several scholarship opportunities available to you!
Please click on the following links to view more information!
You can apply for UTEP scholarships through your Apply Texas application. Please speak to your ECHS counselor for more information, or stop by our center!  
Most organizations will send out the scholarship money directly to UTEP. You can check your goldmine account to verify that the funds have been added to your account. However, in some cases you may have to deposit a check yourself. For more information on how to deposit a scholarship you can contact the Office of Scholarships at (915) 747-5089.

For more information contact:

Office of Scholarships

Mike Loya Academic Services Building Rm. 202

(915) 747-5489 



During orientation you will have the opportunity to explore UTEP and learn about Miner traditions, student resources and services, clubs and organizations, as well as information pertaining to your college and major. Additionally, you will also be advised on what courses to take for the semester.
Before you attend orientation you must complete the following:
  • Activate your UTEP and Outlook Mail Account
  • You need this to register for your classes, stay connected, and to receive the most up to date information regarding your status on your new campus! Watch the quick videos below on how it works and then go to newaccount.utep.edu to activate it now. If you need assistance, please contact the Helpdesk at 747-5257.

    Activating Your UTEP Account

  • Print an unofficial copy of your EPCC transcript for class advising on orientation day.
  • Submit your Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine Documentation

    Submit proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination or the Texas Department of State Health Services affidavit prior to attending your scheduled orientation.

    Submission options are listed below: Option 1 - Email: meningitis@utep.edu Option 2 - Fax: (915) 747-8893 Option 3 - In Person: Enrollment Services Center Your counselor may have submitted your shot records but you MUST verify!


You will register for classes based on your classification (i.e. freshman, sophomore, junior, senior). You will be notified when registration is open through your UTEP email. Monitor your email for this message, and check with your college when you can register for classes.


There are two on-campus housing facilities at UTEP, Miner Village and Miner Heights. All the apartments are fully furnished with full kitchens, private bathrooms, carpeting and tile, and independently controlled refrigerated air. The units have high-speed internet connection and basic cable. For additional information please visit: utep.edu/housing
Send Us A Message!

* = Required
I am a:
Expected Entry Date